Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I have a new favorite quote. I heard it on, of all things, Men in Trees! Now, I love Men in Trees but it is usually a pretty light diversion, not exactly deep, kwim? But this past episode, a character named Jerome had sort of an epiphany I suppose about who or what he had let himself become. It showed him looking at pictures of himself as a young man looking very successful and happy with important people. He is currently the town character that sits around the bar making pithy remarks. Follow me? Anyway, after his epiphany or whatever, he is sitting at a bookstore in a suit, all shaved and cleaned up and reads the following quote to a lady:

"The greatest loss of all, the loss of oneself, happens very quietly in the world as if it were nothing at all. No other loss occurs so quietly." ~~Kierkegaard

That hit me like a ton of bricks. In the middle of this light, fun show I was suddenly reflecting on how true that was. Nuff said lest I go on for days. Keep me as well as ol' Jerome (or his archetype) in your prayers that what was lost may be found. And may you all pay attention to who and what you are. Don't let it slip away. Be the person you truly mean to be.

No comments: